The other weekend I got to hang out with my little sister for the whole weekend. We did face masks, visited an Ambassador at an event and cooked a delicious meal. On the Sunday she showed me how to make her famous (in our household) banana bread. It's her go-to-cake and is always sure to put a smile on my face if she is baking one when I turn up. There is 13 years between us but we have always had the best time with each other, even if she does say she finds me marginally annoying!
After making this banana bread, in true older sister style, I decided to take the recipe and make it “ridiculously rich” by creating a hybrid of brownie, banana cake and sticky toffee pudding. What came out was something truly special! I posted a picture on my social media asking if you would like the recipe and it seemed you all did, so here it is!
For the banana bread:
140g salted butter
140g caster sugar
2 large free range eggs
140g self raising flour
3 ripe bananas (2 mashed and one left whole)
For the brownie:
60g dark chocolate
50g salted butter
90g caster sugar
1 tbs brown sugar
1 free range egg
75g self raising flour
For the caramel:
200g condensed milk
30g salted butter
30g brown sugar
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180c and line a 20cm square tin with baking paper.
2. Begin by making the banana bread mix by beating your sugar and butter until pale and smooth
4. Add your eggs and mix until all combined
5. Sieve in the flour and add your mashed banana
6. Mix until fully combined and leave to one side
7. Now to make the caramel by firstly melting the butter and sugar in a saucepan on a medium heat until all dissolved
8. Add the condensed milk and turn to a low to medium heat, whisking continuously until thick and golden, set aside.
9. Lastly, make the brownies by adding the butter and chocolate in a pan and heating over a low heat until all melted. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved, take off the heat and allow to cool
10. While your brownie is cooling slice your banana into 4 length ways to create thin stripes, lay these flat in your prepared tin.
11. Cover these banana slices with 2/3 of your caramel, making sure the bananas stay evenly distributed. Keep the left over caramel to drizzle on top to serve
12. Now the brownie mix has cooled a little, add the egg and stir to comibine
13. Finally add the flour and mix one last time
14. Now you are ready to layer the brownie and banana cake mix on top of your caramel! I decided to add 1/2 the banana cake mixture, all of the brownie mix and then the rest of the banana cake so you get delicious layers.
15. Bake at 180c for 30-35 min, test with a fork, when this comes out clean it is ready
16. Take out of the oven and leave to cool.
17. Tip out of the tin so that the sliced banana's are now at the top, cover with the rest of your caramel and treat yourself to a slice or 3!
This really is the most delicious cozy treat and I hope you love it as much as we do! If you make this at home please don't forget to share using #bakingwithalana, I would love to see your pictures!