I am always getting asked for a Gluten Free recipe and my challenge has been to find one that is as gooey, rich and feels just as much of a treat as one of my usual recipes, and I think with this one I may have cracked it! Just be prepared, it is definitely Ridiculously Rich!
For the Cake Base
250g of Salted Butter
125g of Milk Chocolate
125g of 70% Dark Chocolate
5 Medium Free Range Eggs (Separated)
250g of Golden Caster Sugar
For the Glaze
150g of Dark Chocolate
2 Tablespoons of Amaretto
1 Tablespoon of Water
- Preheat oven to 160c fan/180c/ or gas mark 4 and prepare a 20cm tin by greasing it with butter thoroughly.
- Melt the butter and chocolate on a bain-marie, stirring until combined.
- Whilst the butter and chocolate mixture cools, whisk the egg yolks with half of the sugar until pale and and in stiff peaks (I used a mixer with a whisk attachment)
- Then, whisk the egg whites until forming stiff peaks and add the remaining sugar gradually a tablespoon at a time. You should have a stiff, glossy meringue by the end.
- Fold the chocolate and butter in to the yolk mixture until combined then fold in the egg white mixture in half at a time until all is combined, do this slowly and gently, being careful not to over work and knock the air out of the mix.
- Place in the oven and cook for 50-60 minutes checking whether baked by using a skewer into the cake, once the skewer comes out clean it is ready to remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Over a bain-marie heat the chocolate, amaretto and water and mix until combined. Once this has come together, spread on top of the cake and put in the fridge to set.
It is the perfect after dinner treat! So grab yourself a nice big slice and enjoy!
If any of you make this recipe please don't forget to share with #bakingwithalana, I love seeing your pictures!